The overall goal of the NITHA Health Promotion program is to provide comprehensive support to the partners in the area of health promotion and health equity by working in collaboration with NITHA programs and second level partners to impact health at the community level.
The NITHA Health Promotion Advisor:
- Provides leadership to NITHA and NITHA partners to identify needs, establish priorities, plan,
- implement and evaluate culturally relevant health promotion strategies.
- Develops and maintains internal/external partnerships, relationships and to collaboration in
- planning and implementing health promotion strategies.
- Provides leadership and collaborates with NITHA and the NITHA partners to identify and plan health promotion capacity building opportunities.
- Keeps up to date on health promotion trends, issues, practices and provides ongoing support, guidance and advice to NITHA and the NITHA partners regarding health promotion programs and initiatives.
POPULATION HEALTH PROMOTION
The goal of Population Health Promotion is to create healthy communities and conditions that support the best possible health for everyone.
- Creates conditions that support “Healthy Children, Healthy Families and Healthy Communities”.
- Focuses on preventing people from becoming sick or injured.
- Emphasizes “upstream” approaches that work to address root causes of poor health by changing the conditions and environments in which people live, work and play.
- Works to remove barriers that make it harder for some people to be healthier than it is for others.
- Strategies are interrelated and complementary to each other and to other initiatives in other programs and disciplines.
- Strategies are multi-faceted, long term and often require multi-sectoral partnerships and strategies.
- Engages communities and people so they can take action to control and improve their health.
- Goes beyond providing information on healthy lifestyle or teaching personal skills, it works to create environments that promote healthy lifestyle choices.
Many of the health promotion initiatives in Northern Saskatchewan are developed through the Northern Healthy Communities Partnership (NHCP). The NHCP is a group of organizations (including First Nations) who choose to work together to enhance the well-being of individuals, families and communities in Northern Saskatchewan.
Actions teams of the NHPC include:
Northern Tobacco Strategy
Babies, Books and Bonding